Contest Dates: August 23-September 24, 2021
Judging: September 25, Bellaire City Library, Noon-2pm
Winners Announced: October 2 at Friends of the Bellaire Library Annual Book Sale
Age Groups: Elementary School, Middle School, High School, Adults (over 18 yrs old)
Winning Entries: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be selected.
All Winners will receive a ribbon and recognition in local media
Entry Form and Book: Pickup at the Library during operating hours
Artist Statement: Deliver art and Artist Statement to the Bellaire City Library between
Saturday, September 18 at 10 am and Friday, September 24 by 2 pm
Entry Retrieval: Entries must be picked up by contestants by Saturday, October 9 at 2 pm
Click here to download the Entry Form
Book Art Contest Rules
In celebration of the 70th Anniversary of the Bellaire City Library and of the Friends of the Bellaire Library, you are invited to transform an old book designated for recycling into a piece of art! The theme for this transformational literary contest is “Bookish”.
What is Book Art?
Book Art is a book that has been transformed by creative means into a work of art. Creating Book Art may be as simple as adding a drawing or text to a page or as complex as creating an intricate book sculpture. Here are some examples: https://tinyurl.com/a49dk5pc
- The contest is open to everyone, and people of all ages and abilities are welcome and encouraged to participate in the contest. Winners in each group will receive a ribbon and recognition in local media.
- Each participant will be given one book that has been designated for recycling by the Friends of the Bellaire Library upon receipt of a completed entry form, or the participant may use their own book. Entry forms can be turned in/contest books can be picked up at the Bellaire City Library during normal operating hours upon receipt of a completed entry form. (If multiple books are necessary for a single art work, the participant is responsible for acquiring additional books.)
- Contestants may enter as many individual art works as they choose, but each entry must have its own entry form and artist statement. Each entry will receive a book as per the above rule.
- Due to limited space, entries must be no larger than 12” wide x 12” long x 18” high. Hanging entries or wall-mounted entries will not be accepted.
- There are NO RULES about how to alter your book – you can add to, carve, cut up, fold, paint, collage, or reconfigure the book(s) – in short, whatever comes to mind! Remember, transforming the book(s) is the purpose of the contest.
- Original artwork only; no copyrighted images or materials are allowed.
- All entries must be hand delivered to the Bellaire City Library between Saturday, September 18 at 10 am and Friday, September 24 at 2 pm.
- Judging will be done by a group of neutral parties. Entries will be judged on originality, technique, and degree of difficulty. The decisions made by the Judges are final.
- Entries will be on display at the Bellaire City Library from Saturday, September 18 thru Saturday, October 9. Entries must be picked up by contestants by Saturday, October 9 at 2 p.m. Only the artist or other individual designated on the entry form may pick up the work. After October 9 at 2 p.m., entries become the property of the Friends of the Bellaire Library.
Delivery of Work/Terms:
- Work must be hand-delivered to the Bellaire City Library, 5111 Jessamine, Bellaire, TX 77401. Entries must be accompanied by a completed and signed artist statement. All work must be ready for display.
- The Friends of the Bellaire Library have the right to refuse entry to the competition of works that are deemed not suitable for display or for family viewing and, by entering the contest, entrants agree to this condition
- Liability: The Bellaire City Library and the Friends of the Bellaire Library will make every effort to ensure the safe handling of entries, but do not assume responsibility for damage or loss.
- Reproduction: The Bellaire City Library and the Friends of the Bellaire Library reserve the right to reproduce entries for exhibition and publicity purposes and for inclusion in its website, printed materials, and digital library.
Questions? If more information is needed, please email email@example.com
Click here to download the Entry Form
Click here to download a pdf of the Entry Rules